Montserrat Retreat House
Invites you to join Fr. John Lan Tran, S.J. for our #07 Women's Silent Ignatian Retreat, February 1-4, 2018
Take time for yourself, be renewed and draw closer to God; come to a retreat at Montserrat Retreat House
- A retreat is a time of quiet when you can get away from the ordinary demands of life.
- A retreat provides both time and space to gain a better perspective on the deeper meaning of your life.
- A retreat offers more of what you yearn for, that is a place and a way to come to know God better in intimate and personal relationship.
- A retreat is a time of reconciliation and peace.
- A retreat is a gift you give yourself and allow the Lord to bless the gift. It is a time for you to be good to yourself.
Discovering or deepening your own way of praying is an important outcome of the Montserrat retreat. A Montserrat retreat will ask you to look at your relationships: with God, with your spouses and families, with friends, with the Church, with your own world -- and with you own self. And you will hear Jesus Christ saying to you "Do not be afraid."
About your Director:
Fr. John Lan Tran, S.J., was born and raised in Bao Loc, Vietnam. He migrated to Kansas City, Missouri, in 1983. He graduated from Rockhurst College, in 1991, with a Bachelor in Physics and Computer Science. After college, he worked for three years as an environmental scientist and another three years as a computer programmer.
Fr. John entered the Society of Jesus in 1997 as a member of the Missouri Province. In the next eleven years, as he went through the formation process of the Jesuits. During this time, Fr. John was also leading retreats geared towards Vietnamese-American youth in the U.S. For several summers, he also led retreats for religious men and women in Vietnam.
Academically, Fr. John obtained a Masters of Art in Social Philosophy from Loyola University in Chicago in 2002, a Masters of Divinity from Boston College in 2008, and a Licentiate in Sacred Theology (S.T.L., an ecclesiastical degree), focusing in Pauline Theology, in 2009. Fr. John was ordained a priest in 2008 at College Church in St. Louis, Missouri.
In 2009, Fr. John was assigned to work part-time in campus ministry, and to teach computer science classes part-time at St. Louis University High School (SLUH). A year later, he was assigned to the Director of Campus Ministry position at SLUH. In this capacity, he directed retreats, helped with service programs, and to facilitate student involvement and leadership in different aspects of campus ministry. In 2014, Fr. John was reassigned to St. John’s Junior College in Belize, where he taught classes in Mathematics and Theology. During this time, he was also working as Director of Mission and Identity. In November 2016, Fr. John returned to the U.S. to work as a retreat director at Montserrat Retreat House.
How to Register
- Register online here or call 940-321-6020. Register early and reserve your place with a $50.00 advance deposit.
- Major credit cards/checks accepted. Private accommodations, meals, prayer talks, and individual spiritual direction are all included.